Thursday, August 21, 2008

Check and check.

Bicycle and I had a productive morning.

First, we hopped on our bikes and rode up the street to the bank and opened a joint checking account. We both maintain our own accounts at other banks (now I have a total of four accounts at three different banks!). This one is only for making the splitting of groceries and other household expenses easier -- we put the same amount of money into it, and that way everything we use it for is already split 50/50.

But, I've got a little beef with the lady who we saw at the bank. So, we go in, and I spot her and say we want to open a checking account; blah, blah, blah, she takes enters my information and then Bicycle's; I do most of the talking, answer questions, etc; Bicycle and I quickly decide whether we want to do our record keeping online or if we want statements mailed to us -- we decide that it'll be paper and that I'll be keeping track of it. And yet -- papers get printed out for us to review and sign, and Bicycle is listed first, including that he will would be bearing any tax responsibility should there be interest earned (we were not asked who would be responsible for that, but then, our account wont be earning interest, so I understand that it wouldn't be asked).

Huh? This is particularly confusing to me, as my information was entered first. I'm also older, which is part of the info she entered (as birth dates). I also make more money, but she doesn't know that.

My assumption, and I could, of course, be wrong, but I don't see another explanation, is that we came in there are a heterosexual couple, so this lady takes Bicycle to be wearing the pants, despite several fairly obvious cues to the contrary.

The only other possible explanation is that the software automatically lists holders of an account automatically. Bicycle's name would come before mine, even though mine was entered first, if that were true. But it seems not to make a lot of sense to arbitrarily assign tax responsibility like that. I don't know.


Anyway, then we went over to deliver our security deposit and signed lease to our new landlady. Who is a chatty Cathy.

No comments: