Sunday, August 9, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Bicycle will be back in town tomorrow afternoon. We're leaving Friday night. Spending Friday night a couple hours down the road at my brother's, then I think we're spending Saturday night with one of my college friends after driving all day, and then getting to Nashville early on Sunday to unload.



But let's backtrack here. Where were we?

At the end of June, Bicycle and I we preparing for him to go off to Nashville, cleaning his space up, packing his things, getting rid of some stuff. My brother came up to get a bunch of stuff we were getting rid of, but that he could use in his new place. I had just started an affair with the Fellow, a long lusted-after friend. I was taking summer classes, to finish my degree before we left.

On June 29, Bicycle's college roommate and best friend came for a visit. Roommate had been living out west all year, and had just broken up with his girlfriend of three years and change, who he'd more or less followed out there. He needed a vacation, so he came and stayed with us for a few days, before heading out to spend a week or so with his family in the other end of the state.


To diverge for a moment, I met Roommate before I met Bicycle, by about four or five months; I met Bicycle through Roommate. The night I met Roommate, my then-partner and I took him and his kind of crazy girlfriend (who we'd already known for a little bit) home with us. I know, my life is interesting. In any case, over the next few months, there was much gnashing of teeth and ending of clothing, as Roommate decided he was all about monogamy, he broke up with his then-girlfriend, and then got together with the girlfriend he so recently became separated from.

In the meantime, I went through a couple flings. I also met Bicycle. The night we met (also the night my car passed 100k miles, true story, and having just looked it up, that was February 11, 2006), I decided I wasn't interested in him. He was kind of funny-looking -- no beard at the time -- and kind of awkward, and, while he could dance (we were dancing that night), I'm pretty sure he stepped on my (bare) feet. But we became internet friends, and I tried to hook him up with one of my housemates, who, by the way, is the person we are likely staying with on Saturday night.

But that never worked out. Roommate and Bicycle had an open invitation to come over for dinner any night, and I surely pestered Roommate about it a lot, but they never did come over. So Bicycle and my housemate did not meet until well after the fact.

By the end of that semester, after much internet communication, I had a little bit of an intellectual crush going on. On Bicycle, you see. His internetting from that period was quite lovely, and I totally fell for his mind. In May, Bicycle was to play at an open mike at his school. It was reading period or finals at mine, and I had some free time, so I popped out there for an evening to see it. I always maintained that I'd just happened to be there, blahblahblah, but I'll fess up and say now that I had penciled it onto my calendar well in advance, so that I could have another meeting with Bicycle and to hear him sing some songs. He forgot some of the words of "This Land is Your Land." So, Bicycle, if you are reading, now you know. After that, I spent the next three months or so chasing Bicycle, applying all my wiles to his dense self, and the rest is history.


Getting back to the current story, Roommate came for a visit. General good times were had. Unfortunately, we didn't get to play outside, which had featured heavily in our plan-making, because it rained and thundered all that week. Actually, it's been raining for most of the summer. So we spent a lot of time inside.

And a lot of the inside time was spent cuddling, in various permutations of the three of us. Roommate was being a little mopey and emo -- I suppose it was slightly justified -- about his recent breakup with his twue wuv.



Ah, hell, I've been writing for a long time. Sorry about the cliff hanger. I need to order my thoughts before I get on with the story. I promise to get on with it sooner rather than later.

No comments: